Increasing employee engagement & motivation is extremely important for success in the workplace. Many leaders struggle to keep employees positive & engaged at work.
Did you know that:
- 88% of employees don’t have passion for their work
- 36% of employees would give up $5,000 per year to be happier at work
- 79% of leaders believe they have a significant retention and engagement problem
- Disengaged employees cost organizations between $450 and $550 billion annually.
- Engaged business units result in 21% greater profitability.
- Highly engaged business units realize a 41% reduction in absenteeism and a 17% increase in productivity.
- A 10% increase in customer ratings and a 20% increase in sales have been recorded in highly engaged business units.
- Companies with engaged employees, outperform those without by 202%.
- Customer retention rates are 18% higher on average when employees are highly engaged.
These statistics are provided by Office Vibe.
What is Employee Engagement?
- Deloitte defined employee engagement as “an employee’s job satisfaction, loyalty and inclination to expend discretionary effort toward organisational goals”.
- Forbes also had their own definition “the emotional commitment the employee has to the organisation and its goals”.
In conclusion, employee engagement is defined by the level to which an employee is committed to an organisation.
Depending on how loyal the employee is and the amount of effort to which the employee is involved within the organisation.
It is not necessarily defined by the employee satisfaction or happiness but rather by their engagement, attitude and passion towards reaching goals set by the organisation.
So why is Employee Engagement so Important?
If your employees are committed to & engaged in their jobs, it inevitably leads to increased job satisfaction.
Engaged Employees leads to:
- Increased Service Levels
- Higher Customer Satisfaction
- Increase in Sales
- Higher Profit Levels
- Increased Shareholder Returns
So how do you Inspire Employees to get behind you as a Leader?
- Start with the basics of safety & security in the workplace, within the role & within the organisation
- Do not micro-manage
- Create a Development Action Plan
- Have Strategy Sessions
- Have Social Events
- Inspire your employees
- Be Passionate About what YOU do
- Be Passionate about your EMPLOYEES and what THEY do
How to Increase employee Engagement whilst implementing the above:
- Demonstrate your core values of the business
- Make Feedback a priority
- Ensure that physical and mental health is a priority
- Recognise the performers & reward them for their achievements
- Evaluate business downfalls through regular surveys & feedback sessions
- Provide flexibility
- Train your managers!!